The Tieranatomisches Theater (Veterinary Anatomy Theatre) is the oldest still existing academic building in Berlin. Set around a spectacular domed lecture hall, it was designed by Carl Gotthard Langhans, the architect of the Brandenburg Gate, in 1790. For over 200 years, the neoclassical building provided a spectacular staging of knowledge: Autopsy, labs, collections, lecture hall – spaces of research and display merged into a theatre of knowledge.
Since 2013, the Hermann von Helmholtz-Zentrum für Kulturtechnik operates the Tieranatomisches Theater as an experimental exhibition space. Based on research and teaching at the Humboldt-Universität, the projects are dedicated to an interdisciplinary investigation of material cultures of knowledge and to new practices in displaying them.